I N T E R A C T I V E|
D R A M A T I S T
Resources for Critic and Author?
What Is Interactive Drama?
Here you'll find critical pieces, definitions, and explanations of Interactive Drama, Freeform Role Play, Murder Mystery Whodunits, and Live Action Role Playing Games. If you would like to add your own information here (either as a local file or as a link), feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Critical and Theoretical Perspectives on Interactive Drama - Brian David Phillips discusses critical perspectives on interactive drama.
- Interactive Drama: Deconstructing Theatre - This is my own piece for Theatre Central's journal.
- Roleplaying Games in the English as a Foreign Language Classroom - Brian David Phillips presents a number of principles related to roleplay that apply to educational application of interactive drama as well, originally published as part of the Proceedings of the Tenth National Conference on English Teaching and Learning in the Republic of China, Taipei: Crane Publishing, Ltd., 1994, 625-648.
- The Great Pretenders - Excellent Washington Post article written by Tamara Jones (14 July 1996). I've HTMLized some of the information and put a couple links in. I've also appended some net-comments by the ILF folks.
- Murder Mystery Party Frequently Asked Questions - A close cousin to Live Role Playing, Murder Mystery Parties are another form of interactive drama. This well written file will get you started with some very solid and good advice. This is another must read.
- Triangle Theory of Interactive Drama: Simulation vs Drama vs Gaming (Crosspollination) - Chris Thornett discusses alternative perspectives and approaches related to interactive drama playing styles.
- Freeform Interactive Drama Traits: The Freeform/Players Thread - This is a compilation of a series of posts made to the aus.games.roleplay newsgroup on traits of good and bad interactive drama scenarios.
- New Directions in Australian Roleplaying: Style, Innovation, and Responsibility in Convention Roleplaying (Part One: Examples, History, and Definitions; Part Two: Design and Presentation; and Part Three: Sensationalism and Responsibility) - Excellent series of papers by John Patrick Hughes. A very good resource.
- An Australian Convention Roleplaying Glossary - Compiled by Andrew Chapman, John Hughes, Philippa Hughes, Robert MacLean, and Cathy Simpson. A good resource for Australians and non-Australians alike.
- Why People LARP - David Borg discusses various motivations for live action roleplaying.
- I Have No Words I Must Design - Greg Costikyan provides and excellent background on scenario and game design philosophies.
- An Introduction to Recreational Roleplaying - In a draft essay, Mark Grundy explores the nature of recreational roleplay.
- Shape of the US LARP Hobby
- LARP at Play 101
- Journeys to Another World the 2010 LARP Summit Book
- Interacting Arts
- Reading Deleuze At Airports by Jiituomas
- The LARPer Magazine
- On Being a Cat Person, Mail and Guardian Online
- First Person: I Am A Teenage Elf, The Independant
- Feel the Sting of My Foam Sword, Slate
Wright and Design
Advice, How-To's and Information
On Creating Scenarios and
Here are papers or sites where you can find information and advice for creating Interactive Drama scenarios or for starting a troupe. You will also find academic approaches to the theory of Interactive Drama and related fields. If you would like to add your own site here email me at email@example.com and I'll most assuredly get back to you as quickly as possible.
Scandinavian LARP Conferences: Formal Critical Conference Movement in Norway, Sweden and Finland. The proceedings of these conferences are very worthwhile collections that anyone interested in serious discussion or exploration of interactive drama should have.
- Nordic LARP Talks, live webcast and video archives of proceedings available
- Knutepunkt: The Book, Norway, 2001 (not online)
- As Larp Grows Up, Denmark, 2003
- Beyond Role and Play, Finland, 2004
- Dissecting LARP, Proceedings to Knutepunkt, Nordic Conference on LARP, Norway, 2oo5
- Role, Play, Art, Stockholm, 2006
- Lifelike, Copenhagen, 2007
- Playground Worlds, Solmukohta, 2008
- Larp, the Universe, and Everything, Norway, 2009
- Playing Reality, Norway, 2010
- Knutepunkt, Norway, Ongoing LARP Conference
EXPERIENTIAL HYPNOSIS and
Here are a few essays and papers related to the use of experiential hypnosis to enhance the experience of interactive dramas, roleplay, and related activities.